Thursday 16 October 2014

Homemade Lemon Body Scrub

Lets talk about skin...

I have oily skin! Although it means I'm is less prone to signs of ageing, like wrinkles, it also means that my pores are susceptible to clogging and dead skin on its surface. And of course, being a make-up lover, I don't help myself by shoving a load of make-up on my face most days. I know it is common for people my age to be rather 'spotty' due to hormones etc but to be honest it is really bugging me and my skin is just DREADFUL. 

SOS (Save Our Skin)
This is what I want to do... try and save my skin without any nasty chemicals (and breaking the bank)! So, I've done a little research and it has become quite clear that honey is the bees knees (whaeeey) along side lemon and olive oil. 

'When life gives you lemons'... make skin care?!



Lemon juice has multiple benefits towards the skin, for example:

- It is a natural exfoliant, the citric acid removes the top layer of dead skin cells.
- It helps heal ache due to its natural antibacterial components, the L-ascorbic acid in lemons is used in lots of acne products on the market. 
- It can also be used to brighten your skin. 

WARNING
- If your skin stings...dilute the lemon juice with a few drops of water until your skin can cope.
- If your skin is already dry, it could make it worse, so moisturise before hand (use honey or olive oil for normal skin and for oily, lemon and cucumber)
- Don't over apply... every other day is the best way forward. This will reduce the likelihood of side effects where for example, broken skin becomes infected (gross)!

With all this in mind, I need to exfoliate, heal ache and moisturise! Hence why I have made this scrub... now let me show you how! 

YOU WILL NEED:
 Ingredients
- 1-2 lemons
- 12 tbs sugar (I used quite find granules because I have sensitive skin)
- 2 tbs olive oil 
 (these measurements vary depending on the constancy you prefer)
Equipment
- Measuring spoons
- Lemon juicer
- A mixing bowl
- Bowls to split the measured ingredients in to
- A jar to put the product in


STEP ONE


Get all of the juice out of those lemons!

STEP TWO

Measure out the sugar and olive oil (you can use honey instead of the oil)


STEP THREE


Pour the sugar...


...lemon juice...



...and olive oil into the mixing bowl.

STEP FOUR

Stir all of the ingredients together. It should mimic a syrup-like constancy, if not, add a bit more sugar if it is too runny or add a drop of olive oil to loosen the paste.

STEP FIVE


Whilst it is still in the mixing bowl, try the product on the back of your hand before exchanging it into the jar.

STEP SIX


Pour the scrub into a jar of your choice, preferably one that can be closed tightly as the scrub is rather runny!

STEP SEVEN (Optional)


Attach a pretty label!

This should last quite a long time considering its all natural, but really, if it does 'go off' then you haven't really wasted much money! 
The mixture will separate once it has been left to sit, so just stir it a bit before you use it. 

EASY PEASY...LEMON SQUEEZY! 
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

I will let you know how I get on with ma scrub! Thanks for reading!

Speak soon
Isabel x


Share:

2 comments

  1. Hey girl! I just nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award. If you feel like participating check out the rules on my blog: www.thehappyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© isabel's insight | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig