Sunday 21 February 2016

Weekly 'Food Facts'- No.1 - Sweet Potato

Hi Everyone,
I would like to introduce you to a new series I have created for my blog, 'Food Facts'. It is reasonably self explanatory but for those of you who would like some clarification: I will be writing about a different ingredient each week- giving facts and a recipe idea (there will be lots of recipes separate to these posts as I use these ingredients on a regular basis and love making as well sharing my creations)!

Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite foods- ever. They are so delicious and flavoursome without even adding anything. Not only are they scrummy but they are also very nutritious!


FACTS
High in vitamin A-This supports the immune system, vision, cell growth and protects against sun damage. 
Vitamin C- 1 sweet potato counts to about ½ of your daily vitamin C intake. It promotes healthy, glowing skin due to the collagen and supports the immune system.
The storage proteins have been shown to heal wounds.
Contributes to inflammation.
The potassium content in the sweet potato helps lower blood pressure. It has important electrolytes which help normalise heartbeat.
Complex carbohydrate- Slow release of sugar (keeps energy levels more consistent) in comparison to other (simple, starchy) carbohydrates that give you ‘sugar spikes’.
Full of manganese- this helps to metabolise carbohydrates.  
Stress relief- the magnesium encourages calmness.
Fibre- Helps regulate digestion and keeps the digestive tract healthy.


RECIPE
Sweet Potato, Bean, Bacon and Spinach in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serves 6
You will need:
Sharp Knife
Large/Deep Pan
Spoon

Ingredients
3 Sweet Potatoes (Cubed)
1 Large Onion (Sliced)
2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
12 Rashers of Smoked Bacon (I personally remove the fat)
400g canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
400g canned mixed beans (drained and rinsed)
2 Large Handfuls Spinach
2x400g tinned plum tomatoes
1 Romano Pepper
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Cayenne
Salt & Pepper 

Method
-Preheat the pan (medium heat), add the garlic, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion and pepper to the pan and cook until the onion has softened. 
-Add the bacon and cook for a 2 minutes. 
-Pop the sweet potato in the pan and cook for 2 minutes (it makes it taste a little nuttier I find). 
-Pour the beans and chickpeas into the pan alongside the tomatoes. 
Turn the heat up and let it bubble for 5 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low/medium and simmer (to thicken the sauce).
When the sweet potato is soft add the spinach and season to taste.

EAT! :)

I hope this was helpful, interesting and you enjoy the recipe I have come up with! As I mentioned, this recipe serves 6. I did this as apart of my 'bulk cooking'. If you would like more information about the benefits of meal planning then check out my previous post: http://isabelsinsight95.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/saving-money-whilst-spending-losing.html

If you make any of the recipes from my 'Food Facts' posts, I would love to see pictures! Please use the hashtag #IIFF. 

Love
Isabel x



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© isabel's insight | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig