Monday 20 October 2014

Halloween Series: 'Cracked Doll' Make-up

As you are all probably aware... it is nearing Halloween! I thought I would do a collection of posts to help you out with make-up, food and drink ideas for any parties you are going to or hosting! So, here is number one...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a make-up artist so don't expect too much ahaha! 

This is my brother's beautiful girlfriend, Zara. She very kindly agreed to model this look...  

So if you want to find out how I achieved this...keep reading!


STEP ONE


Prepare the skin so you have a fresh, clean base. I did this by using my Garnier- Micellar Cleansing Water to remove any excess oil and left over make-up from the day before. I then moisturised Zara's skin with a light, day cream by Simple and used a lip scrub from Lush to exfoliate her lips. 

STEP TWO


Once the moisturiser had soaked into her skin I just applied a basic base onto the left side of her face. I used Rimmel-Match Perfection Foundation (100 Ivory), Collection- Lasting Perfection Concealer (1 Fair) as a highlight under the eye and on any blemishes. I then set this with Rimmel- Clear Complexion Powder, added a slight contour with a bronzer from Accessorize and a light flush of NYC- Cheek Glow Powder Blush (650 NoLiTa Pink) and finally put a little bit of Benefit- High Beam Highlighter onto her cheek and brow bone. 

STEP THREE


I then did a 'smokey eye' using my Urban Decay- Naked 2 Palette. I applied 'Booty call' (a light, shimmery pink) all over the eyelid,  'Tease' (a light purpley-brown) into the crease and outer corner of the eye and then finally layered 'Busted' (dark brown) and 'Blackout' (black) into the outer corner with lots of blending. I also brought these two shades underneath the eye to continue the 'smokiness'. To add even more depth, I used a black kohl eyeliner pencil in the water and tight line. I then curled Zara's eye lashes and added a couple of layers of mascara to the top and bottom. I also filled in her eyebrow with Revlon- Colorstay (500) in the shaded labelled '3' on the back. 

Okay, so that is the 'pretty' side of look done...now for the 'doll' side! (Eeeek!)

STEP FOUR


Using a white eyeliner pencil (I used one by Barry M), map out where you want the 'break' to be. 

STEP FIVE 

Fill in the remaining area with white face paint (I used one by Snazaroo).

STEP SIX 


Once you've applied one layer of face paint, let it dry and then add another. Keep layering until you are happy but I left some patches that weren't as well covered to show wear and age. After this I cracked open my MUA- Winter Forest eyeshadow palette and dipped a fluffy eyeshadow brush into 'Slate' and applied this around the outside of the face. Using a lighter shade (Dove Grey). I lightly contoured under the apple of the cheek to create a shadow (giving the illusion of a plumper cheek). I continued this technique into the creases either side of Zara's mouth and under her bottom lip to make them look fuller. 

STEP SEVEN


I then attended to Zara's other eye! I put a light wash of 'Dove Grey' eyeshadow all over her eyelid with 'Slate' in the outer corner and crease, blending them until they appeared soft. After that, I drew a thin line as close to Zara's lash line as I could with my Collection- Extreme 24 Hour Felt-tip Liner, this is to hide the fake eyelash seam. I then applied some rather huge eyelashes (Eylure- Exaggerate No. 145) on to her top lashes and some more lengthy ones onto the bottom lash line (Eylure- Lengthening No.35). This was quite fiddly considering neither of us have really used fake eyelashes before! 

STEP EIGHT


Once we'd finished faffing with the lashes, I applied quite a lot of blusher onto Zara's cheek, trying to emphasise the apple. I also created the typical 'love heart' shape lip associated with dolls by using a lip brush and a red lipstick (Bourjois- Rouge Collection No.13). 

STEP NINE

I then filled in her other eyebrow with a dark brown shade from the Revlon palette I had used earlier on (I also mixed in some of 'Dove Grey' as well to make it bolder). I then grabbed my felt tip eyeliner again and went around section mapped out beforehand. 

STEP TEN


Start adding the cracks! Remember there would be some holes alongside tiny and deep cracks. But really just go for it, don't be scared!

STEP ELEVEN 


With a small eyeshadow brush I got a little bit of 'Dove Grey' and went over some areas to add shadow and wear. 

Then just do your hair however you want, I went for pigtails!

FINISHED! 

Here are some more photos...



Speak soon
Isabel x



Share:

2 comments

© isabel's insight | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig