Sunday 13 September 2015

Gluten & Dairy Free Basil Pesto


I absolutely love pesto, especially fresh pesto. So, when I altered my diet I then realised I could no longer eat normal pesto because of the cheese in it! I thought to myself, surely there is a dairy free one out there. I tried a jarred one, it was yummy, but I love a pungent basil pesto (basil is my favourite herb) and I feel like you can only get that if you make it from scratch... so that's what I did!

I had made traditional pesto before (basil, pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic) so I kind of knew what I was doing... so I just chucked a few ingredients together and this is what I ended up with... 







Ingredients

Basil (2 cups)
Cashews (1 cup)
Garlic (2-3 gloves)
Olive Oil (1/2 cup)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)


Method

Pop the basil, cashews, garlic, salt and pepper into a food processor.
Put the lid on and gradually add the olive oil.


Feel free to add more or less of anything depending on the taste and consistency you prefer. 
This recipe is so easy to adapt, for example, change up the nuts to some pine nuts or walnuts. Personally I can't really tell a difference now there isn't any cheese in it!

I could eat this on its own, dip crackers into it or have it on toast. But I usually pop it in with some gluten free pasta with some chicken, bacon, onion, tomatoes. Such a quick and easy meal! The pesto lasts quite well too with the flavour intensifying everyday. I'm going to try it was some corgette spaghetti soon- I will let you know how that goes!






Enjoy!


Love 

Isabel x










Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© isabel's insight | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig